Thursday, February 12, 2009

Pictures of New Cairo and other things

I took a few more pictures along my bus route today.

Western chain restaurants near Midan Tahrir in Downtown Cairo


Near a mosque somewhere south of Garden City


Minibuses are a common mode of transportation in Cairo, and operate similar to taxis and with similar rates. I have seen on several occasions minibuses packed beyond capacity - nearly 20 people in one of these! Also notice the Fiats - probably the most common cars in Cairo, as all the taxis and many private cars are of this model. I rarely see Fiats when I'm in the United States.

These are all photos from New Cairo and Kattameya. Hopefully it gives you a sense of the incredible amount of construction that is going on. There are literally thousands of structures that I can see from the highway that are being built just like the ones in the photos. Most of them are not finished, but there is a sizable population of New Cairo already. I speculate that in five to ten years this will be a bustling suburb.

New Cairo and Kattameya









I just noticed yesterday that I can see the Pyramids from the bus on the way back to Doqqi. Since they sit at the very edge of Giza they are in a bit of a haze from a distance, but can still be seen prominently from the highway. I was not able to get a picture, it's actually a really great shot, as you can see the length of the highway with skyscrapers and Pyramids in the background. I haven't been to see the Pyramids yet, but I will soon. They haven't moved for the past few milennia, so I don't think they'll move before I leave Cairo.

Below are some pictures from outside the AUC campus. They don't really show the extent of the campus, but I will take pictures within the campus at a later time.


Outside the American University in Cairo




Since I like to prepare my own food rather than eat out, I've done a lot of looking around my neighborhood to find the best foods to get. I'm pretty satisfied with all the foods that are available. The fruits around here are very abundant, and they are some of the best I've had.

Dates are very popular in Egypt, and they are part of Ramadan tradition. These are Iraqi dates, which are smaller than regular ones.


A bag of nuts from a shop on Tahrir Street. Nuts can be ordered by the kilo for very reasonable prices, which is great because they are among my favorite foods.


I am heading to Alexandria tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment