Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Third Day

First evening in the apartment, and I slept well. It is pretty chilly this morning though, about 50 degrees F with a breeze.

I decided not to go to AUC today because I realized it is just for late registration and I did not send my Survival Arabic registration form on time so I'm pretty sure I'm not enrolled in that. Besides, I wasn't entirely sure how to get there as of this morning.

I began the day with a stroll around the neighborhood, but I didn't go too far because I was nervous I would lose my way.

Door of my apartment. No apartment number or letter, it's just a door.



Looking down the stairwell from the fifth floor


After I returned and ate breakfast, I went back outside through the neighborhood and a little bit into Giza. I know my way around the immediate vicinity now. While there are sidewalks on the streets, nobody walks on them unless they must. People walk between the cars that are parallel parked and the cars driving on the road.

Many people have given me double-takes, which is understandable as there are few Westerners in this neighborhood. Even though I am not dressed unusually, I stand out with blonde hair (albeit shaved), blue eyes, and light skin. I am wearing sunglasses whenever I walk around, as I think this makes me stand out less. I have noticed many people want to see what type of shoes I am wearing, though I am unsure why. They don't seem to mind that I am here. Some of the teenage males give me funny looks, I guess because I'm a foreigner.

Whenever the cab drivers see someone foreign walking, they will beep their horns and slow down to offer a ride. I was even offered rides by a driver who saw me a block away while he was on his break.

After lunch I decided to find out where the AUC Downtown campus was located. I looked at the Google map of Doqqi for awhile, and I can now find my way around as long as I see either Masaha Street, al-Doqqi Street, or Tehrir Street. From my street I walk down Masaha to the intersection of Tehrir Street, and Tehrir goes all the way across the Nile. I think it only takes about 15 minutes or less to get into Downtown by foot, even less by metro.

The old AUC campus is right in the middle of Downtown so I walked around it, but I didn't go inside. Downtown is pretty easy to follow. Most of the buildings even in Downtown are fairly short, about five stories or less. The few that stand out in height are the hotels and the Mogamma, which is a government building. After that I walked deep into Garden City, where I passed a few universities and the Italian and Canadian embassies. I passed the American Embassy but it wasn't immediately visible where I was walking.

Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Nile Hilton Hotel


Sadat Metro Station in Downtown. I think the red building in the back is the Arab League


More Downtown


I finally got a taste of the pollution for which Cairo is known. Around Tahrir Street and in Garden City there is a thick smell of petrol from the cars. It is not too bad but I wouldn't want to spend lots of time there during rush hour. Strangely enough, Tahrir Street is a popular dating spot with dozens of couples along the bridge despite the many lanes of traffic that run adjacent to the walkway.

The city is rife with police officers, with guards posted every 100 meters or so in the crowded areas. They wear black sweaters, berets, boots, and slacks. Many carry AK-47s around their shoulders. However, I see very few police cars. It appears the traffic is more or less self-regulated. Aside from the dangers of having to cross the street, the city feels quite safe so far.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Shane,
    I told you those shoes were awesome. I'm still marking mid-terms. Thanks for all the photos.
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete